Thursday 25 January 2018

Hanging out in China

It’s tough to make friends in a place where they have more than 370,000 words. Even my folks back home told me that I am gonna be back in 2 months and I’ll hate it in China. To be honest, anything is better than a life in Detroit. That crumbling city has nothing to offer, in fact, I feel the states has nothing to offer anymore. That’s why you see Yanks move out of the star-spangled nation more than ever.
Hangzhou is pretty dope. The people are good, the food is even better. I’ve been living here for more than a year. It’s turning out to be the best time of my life coupled with new experiences that are killing my depression.

When I signed Haida, I was scared as hell, since I was a lone wolf in the forest. It took me a long time to adjust to the standard of living. The culture is different and my job as a teacher, although exciting, is challenging. The little children I teach perform outstandingly on their tests when they’re guided right. It makes me really proud. 
 It’s still scary, but now I have new homies. I’ve found friends in Haida-mates from all around the world, especially Antoine, the chilled-out but responsible dude from Lyon, France.
I’ve been traveling to different places in Hangzhou, trying out different street food, the local eateries, the high-end cuisine, and the home-cooked food Mrs. Yi makes a few blocks away from my apartment. The delicacies of Hangzhou are too good to be missed, especially the juicy Xiaolongbao. The dim sums here are like forbidden fruits. They’re too delicious, but eating too much might give a hard time on the pot.
I had a great time at the Leifeng Pagoda, most of the pictures you click here are photogenic. Make sure you don’t miss the West Lake and Qiandao Lake. The diving experience at Qingdao was different than what I had in Jamaica. It’s a lagoon so some places can get muddy.     
If you’re signing up with Haida, let me warn you, it’s not a walk in the park. Take the contract if you’re looking for something entirely different in life. Good luck! 
       

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with the same , adapting Chinese culture is not that easy. One of my relative working in China and it took him long to adjust in Chinese culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know people who have signed-up with Haida HR. They say settling-in is quite difficult in China, especially if your Chinese isn’t strong. That recruitment company is somewhat a good doorway to settle in China. My friend tells me the students are disciplined and easy to control.

    ReplyDelete

Summing my experience with Haida HR in one word – Incredible!

Hailing from a small town in Australia, Haida opened doors of new possibilities for me. I was initially skeptical about what China would ha...